"Break Out" available now (sort of), free chapter samplesImage Not Found.
Break Out, my book about the making of over a dozen Apple II games and their influence on contemporary game design, is available now in hardcover… sort of. While the official release date is September 28, Amazon has copies in stock. Many readers have tweeted pictures of their copies. So, you can get the book now by ordering from Amazon, or pick it up in stores on 9/28.
Since people are receiving the book, the marketing schedule has moved up by a couple of weeks. Several outlets will be running links to excerpts from chapters, as well as podcast interviews and reviews. You'll find all coverage below, including a link to Break Out's Amazon page. I'll be updating this blog post with coverage as it comes in.
If you like the book, or have a question or comment to share, feel free to reply to this post, or email me: firstname.lastname@example.org. Break Out was immensely rewarding to write, and I'm glad it's available for you to enjoy.
- Amazon Page
- Excerpt on Kotaku: The Making of Carmen Sandiego
- Excerpt on Polygon: How Richard Garriott Got Started in Games
- Excerpt on US Gamer: How Richard Garriott Got Players to Start Thinking About the Choices They Make
- Excerpt on Venture Beat: Ultima III and the familial origins of Origin Systems
- Podcast: Guest appearance on US Gamer's Axe of the Blood God RPG show